6 " Brass Lamp Bases (2) You can find this one at Grand Brass 6" BRASS BASE HERE
Hickey and (4) 1" Length of 1/8" threaded rod, (4) 1/8" nuts You can purchase HICKEY'S HERE You need 2 of these
Candelabra sockets (2) found HERE
Lamp wire if hard-wiring or if plugging in 2 Lamp cords HERE,
Dowels found either at Home Depot or Lowes
5/16" x 48" (2)
7/16" x 48" (4)
3/8" x 36" (7)
Gold Leaf and Adhesive Size found at Michael's or Amazon
2 Aluminum Ridge Vent Straps found HERE
8 screws and nuts(to attach the ridge vent strap)
Spray Clear Lacquer
Epoxy ( I like quick set, just a few minutes)
MAKING THE SCONCE:
The brass base will be set on the diagonal for this project.
- Thread a 1"Long x 1/8" threaded rod through the hole in the center of the base and attach the hickey placing a lock nut on back side of base. Take another 1"Long x 1/8" threaded rod and attach the candelabra socket to the hickey. If you are not hard-wiring the sconce you need to drill a 1/8" hole in the "bottom" of your base to allow the cord to thread through hole and down the wall to your plug.
- Run the lamp cord through the back of the base and wire the candelabra socket.
- Attach the aluminum ridge vent to the base by drilling through the brass base using the holes as your guide. You then use screws and nuts to attach the ridge vent or if you own a pop rivet gun, rivets make a nice flush attachment to base.
- Coat your dowels with adhesive size. When dry "roll" the dowel in pre-cut pieces of gold leaf paper.
5. Seal the dowels with a spray clear lacquer. DO NOT SKIP this step as the gold leaf will naturally tarnish.
6. Cut the dowels to your desired sizes. My longest center dowels were 15" long and then I graduated the sizes according to how I wanted it to look.
7. Have your dowel pattern laid out prior to epoxying so it does not dry out before you finish. I used clamps at the beginning (you could use clothes pins) to prevent the dowels from moving prior to setting. Continue epoxying and layering your dowels until you reach your desired look.
8. Use a small wattage bulb to prevent fire hazards.